They kept a welcome in the hillsides!


I have arrived back in Wales with the usual difficulties of the transition from the wonders of Wainui to a cold, wet Welsh climate, which have seemed particularly troublesome this time. The flight itself was uneventful, via Vancouver this time which, in theory at least, makes for a short second flight. As we waited on the runway, with take off pending any second, the Captain informed us that there was a medical emergency and that we had to return to our gate. Paramedics were on board in seconds and after a suitable assessment, a person, hopefully still alive, was removed from the plane. We were thus over an hour late taking off but with some considerable assistance from the jet stream, which was dutifully delivering arctic air to the UK, we still made good time to Heathrow. 

I had a bus booked to Cardiff at 3.30pm so it was a case of baggage bingo as I waited next to the conveyor for my bag to arrive; it was 3.15pm and tension was mounting! But I got lucky and sprinted(Ok, walked briskly)with 22Kg of luggage on my back to the Central Bus Station, arriving at exactly 3.30pm. I need not have worried, the bus was 20 minutes late. As I waited, a lady nearby was having a panic attack because her bus was leaving and the machine wouldn't accept her card for payment. Ever helpful, I assisted her in completing the transaction and she greatfully scuttled away. Later, as my fellow Cardiff passengers and myself were informed that our bus was cancelled, and then that it was at stand 17 not 13, I spotted the same lady trying to talk her way onto the Birmingham bus, that was still about to leave. In her panic, she had purchased a ticket to Cardiff! I hope I hadn't facilitated that?

I knew I was carrying exactly 23 kg in my pack (which included several picture framing tools to top the wait up to maximum) because:

  • I weighed it on the scales upon arrival at Chch - exactly 23Kg
  • I checked it in at Chch baggage drop off - 24.6Kg - pay for excess baggage! I removed several items into my hand luggage
  • I checked the same bag in at Auckland - 22Kg
Air New Zealand should really calibrate their scales - or are they designed to extract even more money form unsuspecting customers? As a result, I carried 2Kg of hand luggage around for the next 48 hours!

I eventually settled back into my seat on my Cardiff bound bus, missing the coffee I had been unable to purchase and reflecting on the last 40 hours of travel. Two hours later we were crossing the Severn Bridge and not too long after that I was collected from Sophia Gardens, Cardiff by Mel and Fran. I was starving by then as breakfast on the plane  (a tub of apple puree and a dry bread roll, with margarine) had been inedible, even if it was gluten free. Why do gluten free folk usually get the same food as vegans these days? The people next to me were eating scrambled eggs! But bangers and mash awaited me a Mel's- delicious!

I drank a glass or two with Mel and hung on pretty well, remembering my golden rule, 'never go to bed before 9pm on arrival day', so that it was after 10pm when I showered (bliss) and crashed. I was awake about 2pm, starving again! Before retiring, I had noticed some spearmint sweeties on the bedside table, how considerate of Mel I thought. In the gloom I grabbed a handful, they were a little chewy! 

Warning: Do not attempt to break your fast by consuming foam ear plugs!

As we drove back to Pembrokeshire next morning, the roads seem strangely quiet. I had noticed this also on the M4 out of London, before I fell asleep. Is this reduced traffic a result of the UK recession, really beginning to bite? I have read of  concerns about food imports from Europe being reduced and exports being compromised by Brexit red tape. Does this really result in reduced traffic, particularly heavy trucks, hammering along the motorways? A lot of M4 traffic in South Wales is often heading to or from Ireland, via the ferries in Pembroke and Fishguard? Has this traffic been significantly reduced or was I just hitting it lucky?

It seems I was not imagining it:

"Figures from Ireland’s Central Statistics Office are particularly striking in respect of GB-Ireland trade in January 2021, where imports from GB were €497 million, a fall of €906 million (-65%) compared with a year ago. Exports to GB fell by 14%.

We therefore have significant concerns around the disproportionate impact on goods moving through Welsh ports and the short, medium and long-term implications of this down-turn in traffic, including the wider economic implications this could have for Wales, the UK as a whole, and for Ireland."

https://www.gov.wales/supporting-welsh-ferry-ports-5-point-plan-html


It seems that Brexit is really starting to bite!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Grey cloud....

Day 6/7 : Over and Out, for now!