ISOLATION: DAY NINE

Breaking news:   I normally write this blog the morning after so that some of it is twenty four hours old when posted. But I switched on the radio this morning and learned of two COVID cases in Christchurch. Apparently an unvaccinated idiot flew down from Auckland a week ago (having tested negative) and now two of them are unwell and have tested positive overnight. So there is a chance that Chch will be heading into lockdown..... out of the isolation frying pan and into the lockdown fire??



Meanwhile yesterday drifted along, pretty much as usual. We filed downstairs for our exercise slot, observing the two metre rule, past the little whiteboard with its witty comment of the day, and out into the exercise compound which, 
           

this afternoon was bathed in glorious sunshine. Spring is definitely in the air, green leaves are bursting out all over the compound. I have the gardener's itch, it happens to all gardeners in the spring and I just want to get out there and plant some seeds or plants! There is a flower border isolated between the two fences that contain us and it needs weeding, but sadly I don't think they will let me!

I spent much of the day on the final edit of the novel: it was definitely too long so I have managed to cut out about 10,000 words so far. I guess its a bit like weeding really? I should finish the edit today. And then I will investigate internet publishing. Have any of you out there ever internet published book before? Advice please.

I listened to an interesting interview - Kathryn Ryan (who is also very good but not quite Kim Hill!) was interviewing the Canadian Astronaut, Chris Hadfield. He was talking about 'tenacious optimism' and I have decided I like the sound of that. I am tenaciously optimistic that I will be out of here soon! You can find the interview at:

https://www.rnz.co.nz/national/programmes/ninetonoon/audio/2018818005/chris-hadfield-astronaut-and-author

And watch his video of Space Oddity too (unless you are one of the 33 million or so who have already seen it). It's quite cool but it won't make the 14 day/14 song playlist to be published on Monday. Its playing really well, just juggling the order a little.

So......... who was the guy standing next to a very young Bob Dylan in the photo yesterday? It was, of course, John Hammond! Interesting guy John, before he got Bob's career kicked off, he managed to spot a other few talented characters including Count Basie, Billy Holliday and Benny Goodman. After battling hard to get Dylan recorded (Ok so not all of you are delighted about the fact that he succeeded) he went off the boil a bit, and only managed to launch a few more artists including : Leonard Cohen, Aretha Franklin and Bruce Springsteen. Quite a talent spotter was John but it does help if your mother was a Van der Bilt and you didn't really have to work.

Out of the hundreds of entries received, only one person got it right: my esteemed cousin:

 ****Linda Mary Evans nee Griffiths!****

There you are Linda, fame at last! Congratulations! Your prize of a free Covid Lateral Flow test is in the post!

Dinner last night was super tasty: Pork Schnitzel with a lovely sauce and saute potatoes. All washed down with a very nice Shiraz. Inadvertently, I broke the rules yesterday. I needed to order a few small items from the supermarket and as the minimum order is $50, I added a couple of bottles of wine to top it up. One of the bottles of wine was wrapped up in newspaper and security didn't spot it, so two bottles were delivered to my room.  Yee-hah party time! (Editor's note: there are still 1.5 bottles left. He's not very good at drinking on his own.)

It seems the whitebaiters on the West Coast (remember them?) have had limited success but not enough to bring me a treat: and lets face it, I deserve a treat! They sent me a photograph of them consuming the last of their catch. I realise that some of you overseas types don't know what all the fuss is about...... until you have eaten NZ whitebait patties, you won't know what you are missing. There are not many things that taste better. Maybe Bluff Oysters or fresh NZ Crayfish? I am salivating as I type that sentence. I've checked my menu again and I can't seem to find any of those being served over the next few days* but tonight I get market fish poached in coconut milk. Dribble! Dribble!

*NEXT FEW DAYS - I like the sound of that, only FOUR days left! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Grey cloud....

They kept a welcome in the hillsides!

Day 6/7 : Over and Out, for now!