DAY FOURTEEN: I'M FREE!

This is it folks: the big day dawned and freedom loomed. Release time was 2.20pm and there was no exercise slot beforehand, so the morning did drag on a little. Packing didn't take very long, I don't really know why I even unpacked some clothes, its been shorts and T-shirts most of the time: and underwear. I assure you I did change my underwear!

The hot NZ news this morning had nothing to do with COP26 in Glasgow; "Bird of the Year" has been won by a bloody bat! How can that happen? My bellbird didn't even make the top five! Huh - not impressed!

Suitably incensed, I sat back for a while and looked over that rather familiar view of the carpark and pondered a little on my imprisonment experience. What have I learned over the last two weeks?

  1. Coffee: I drink rather a lot of coffee - 750 grms in 14 days to be exact, that's just over 50 grms a day. Of course it hasn't been that nasty toxic instant coffee that you all drink, it has been pretty good coffee, produced using my little portable aero press device (If you were on Facebook, an ad for Aeropress would pop up about now - but this is a staunchly independent blog!) It's just as well that coffee is such an excellent antioxidant, essential for good health. 
  2. Working on Projects: I had about twelve things I thought I could get done with all this free time on my hands. The reality is I have completed three and made some inroads into another two. My expectations are too high! I have diligently worked away these things for 8-12 hours, most days (it beats staring at the ceiling!). And during these 14 days I haven't cooked a meal, done any gardening or outside work. I've been in very few online few meetings, I have had virtually no social life! So if I was out there in the free world I would probably have completed only one! Lesson learned: from now on I am going to work at one project primarily at a time, until completion. I'll let you know how that goes!
  3. Drinking: I know some of you will doubt this, but I really am a social drinker! I enjoy a glass of wine with my evening meal, perchance even two. It has to be red wine of course, full of lovely natural antioxidants. But to drink any more I need company, preferably people who enjoy a glass or two of red wine - you know who you are, so I won't embarrass you. It is quite strange that so many of you are female though? Maybe if I had another day I could have run a competition? Guess my red wine drinking buddies from their initials??? The score was four bottles of red in 14 days, that's barely 200ml a ay!
  4. I am not an avid TV watcher. I thought I would be able to catch up on some of these Netflixy/ TV series everybody periodically raves about but I have watched three movies in the last 14 days and about 1 hour of crap TV (every now and again I have to check and make sure it is still crap; inevitably it still is!) So I have relaxed by reading and listening to music, usually not at the same time. And podcasts - I like podcasts. And the radio is always on!
  5. I like bacon and eggs for breakfast! - I am now craving a decent cooked breakfast, which I shall soon be able to cook for myself. They don't make breakfast like this in isolation: 

   6. A bat is not a bloody bird!

Lunch was a prawn salad, that didn't take long to demolish. There was one hour to go...... and very strangely, gradually, I became aware of the fact that I was starting to feel quite tense about leaving. I tend not to get very tense but this was similar to the feeling I might have got in a former life, in the hour before making a big speech at a conference etc. Partly, I think I was concerned that something might go wrong last minute and I'd have to stay longer and partly the institutionalised me was stepping out into the big wide world again. Imagine what it must be like after a 5 year jail term? COVID has messed with all our minds a little I think?

Then, suddenly, I was free! Chris Weir arrived with my car and I dropped him back and had a quick catch up with Bonny. (Thanks both of you for the help and winey gifts.) My most pressing concern was to become a legal NZ driver again, as my driving licence had expired over 12 months ago and you have to front up, get your photo taken and do a little eye test with flashing lights, before thy will give you another one. Once I had that in my pocket, I did a little grocery shopping and then drove down to the Rakaia pub to catch up with Ed & Dave (sons). We had a wonderful emotional reunion, its the longest time I have been without seeing them, I think. Actually, I made the emotional bit up! These are two staunch kiwi lads so we shook hands, drank a beer and ate steak. 


And then I drove the hour or so to my little house in Wainui. It's always a lovely drive - for those of you who haven't been there it involves driving a thousand feet up the side of an extinct volcano before dropping down the other side. It provides a fantastic view and even though it was getting a little gloomy I enjoyed the drive. Upon arrival I could sense there had been fairies in the house! I was dreading what I would find after fifteen months - cobwebs and moudy mouse droppings? But the place was immaculate, shining and exceptionally tidy. Fairies Beverly and Kate had visited, accompanied by their little elfin husbands Markie and John, who have attended the garden on numerous occasions. And thanks for saving Limey Mc Limey the Lime tree Kate - he was apparently very sad twelve months ago.  I was really moved; this wasn't a quick clean through, this was a major spring clean!  And I suspect there have been others involved in the garden support as well, I think I know who you all are and there is one hell of a thank you party lined up sometime soon! In the meantime, I can only reiterate my thanks; thank you all so much for your help and support. It is greatly appreciated. It is great to have such good friends here, and my oldest friend was waiting for me on the bedroom dressing table: 



So that's it! I have been writing this blog mainly for me but it seems to be attracting a few readers: over sixty at peak viewing. I might continue to post a story or two from this side of the world but it certainly won't be every day! I have a lot of projects left to finish! If you want to keep reading my periodic posts, who not become a follower - and then you'll get a reminder when I write something. On the other hand you might very well be glad never to have to read this drivel again! If so, cheerio, it's been nice having you here!

I have now set up 'followers'- click on the button top left of the blog, to follow me and be informed of future posts.

Comments

  1. Enjoy your time in NZ. Hope Fran will be able to join you soon. See you when you return to UK.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Long-tailed Sleepy Bat is an illegitimate bird!

    'KAKAPO" will not concede. This is tremendous fraud perpetrated, by big tech, the fake news media and radical left zoologists!! The election was STOLEN!!!!

    Make Aoteoroa Great Again !1

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Every Grey cloud....

They kept a welcome in the hillsides!

Day 6/7 : Over and Out, for now!