The Bell That Never rang and HMS New Zealand


It's a nervous time for me! Quite a few copies of my first novel "The Bell That Never Rang" have beens old and I imagine the readers avidly turning pages - or nodding off, as the book slips onto the floor!

The book is based on the life of my Great Uncle Jim Bowen who served for many years on the battlecruiser HMS New Zealand. The vessel, which was purchased by the New Zealand government and commissioned in 1912, had a relatively short but illustrious naval career. The picture above shows the medal and medal card that was issued to commemorate her visit to New Zealand in 1913.Three years later she was in the thick of it at the battle of Jutland.

I spent many hours researching  the history of HMS New Zealand so that I could make the storyline of the novel authentic. It was therefore a trifle ironic to learn, as I was on my final edit, that the NZ historian Matthew Wright, had just published a book on her history! 'The Battlecruiser New Zealand' is a really good read if you enjoy naval history (or if you just want to check up the facts in my novel!)

The first reviews will be posted on Amazon soon!

Watch this space!


I intend regularly blogging again about the book and any other topics that grab my attention. If you haven't done so already, click the three little lines top left and click  'follow' so that you never miss another blog!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Every Grey cloud....

They kept a welcome in the hillsides!

Day 6/7 : Over and Out, for now!